Training is divided into 3 categories and students must complete each lower category to participate in upper level categories.
Level 1 Training: Basic Machining Fundamentals
- Goal: acquire machining basic knowledge
- Type: web-based modules with assessment (at-home)
- Content: Workshop Safety, Machine Types, Coordinate Systems, Work Holding, Machining Concepts
- Time Required: approximately 2 hours
Level 2 Training: CNC Fundamentals and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) Software
- Goal: gain knowledge and proficiency in computer aided manufacturing software and CNC fundamentals
- Type: lectures (in-person), assignment (at-home)
- Content: Toolpaths, Tool Types and Libraries, Work Setups, Simulations, Post Processing
- Time Required: approx. 7-8 hours in classroom, 2 hour assignment at home
Level 3 Training: Machine Controller, Machine Setup and Machine Use.
- Goal: gain knowledge of machine controller operation and learn machine usage in on-machine training
- Type: on-machine training (at-machine)
- Content: Startup procedures, Tool loading and offsetting, Workpiece loading and offsetting, program simulations
- Time Required: approximately 3-4 hours training, 2 hour check-off